Thursday, September 20, 2007

Homeward Bound

Iken Church

Iken Church

Breakfast starts late here -- 08:30 -- so after carb loading, I'm on the road by 09:30. It's a milder but windy morning, with cloud coming up fast. And for most of the route, after I leave the coast, I'll be heading straight into it.

Aim up the coastal cycle route past Iken to Snape Maltings, then head through Campsea Ash to cross the A12 at the same easy place as before, just after 11, through Hasketon to pass the Dog Inn at Grundisburgh just as they're opening. I take this as a sign, and stop for a beer.

Refreshed, I continue, with the wind strong enough at times that I have to pedal hard downhill to keep up speed. Through Swiland, past Ashbocking, and stop again at the Cross Keys near Henley for lunch -- a chilli jacket.

Last leg, I can't be bothered with trying to cross the A140, so turn through Claydon and Great Blakenfield to pass under the A14 before that junction, and, having got caught at the level crossing, can feel spits of rain in the wind as I hit the closing leg.

The rain arrives just as I reach the base. A brief pause to adjust luggage, then off into the showery rain home. At least I don't feel I have to mow the lawn.

No comments :